KOLKATA: Amid prevalent chaos and uncertainty over access to the essential services and commodities during the lockdown, we bring you updates from your city.
* For the first time since March 20, supply of perishables surpasses demand in Kolkata.
* Only 10 to attend soccer legend’s shraddh today. The Covid-19 scare and the ensuing lockdown protocol to stop the spread of the disease has forced the kin of football legend PK Banerjee to invite only 10 family members on his shraddh ceremony in Salt Lake on Monday, with a strict diktat that no other people should enter their home and that even those performing the ritual should maintain the requisite distance among each other in accordance with the social distancing practice.
* The price of potato has plunged but there is a yawning gap between the wholesale and retail price. The Jyoti variety was sold at Rs 13/kg in Hooghly, where it is produced in large scale. The wholesale price was Rs 15.
* Citizens go online to clear salary of drivers, maids in Kolkata.
* More than half of Bengal’s Covid-19 patients till Sunday — 12 out of 21 — belong to three family clusters who were infected by individuals with a history of foreign travel, which underlines the importance of keeping social distance even at home. Three individuals who returned from the UK have transmitted the virus to 12 people in these clusters and led to the quarantine of 45 people, some of who have tested negative. Experts felt the number of infected could have been curbed had the families acted more responsibly and stuck to the distancing norms.
The Times of India News App for Latest City News
Start Your Daily Mornings with Times of India Newspaper! Order Now