KOLKATA: A 26-year-old groom died of carbon monoxide poisoning on Saturday morning, two days after his wedding.
The victim has been identified as Niladri Chakraborty, a resident of Vidyasagar in Bagha Jatin and son of a local Trinamool leader, Nishith Chakraborty. Police said the post-mortem indicated that Chakraborty choked to his death as the unfinished cigarette in his hand set his pillow and bedsheet on fire and the fume could not escape the locked room.
“Niladri got married to his girlfriend on December 10 and on Friday, after bringing the new bride home, they had a party. Niladri was a heavy smoker. He and his friends drank till late in his first-floor room of Vidyasagar residence. Later, he probably fell asleep with a lit cigarette still in his hand and the pillow caught fire. The fumes could not escape as all the doors and windows were shut. Around 6.30am on Saturday, Nishith opened the door to find his son lying unconscious,” said DC (SSD) Rashid Munir Khan.
Niladri was initially taken to Peerless Hospital and from there, to Baghajatin Hospital, where he was declared as brought dead at 12.30pm. An inquest was conducted. “A post-mortem was conducted. The autopsy surgeon said the deceased suffered from gastric ulcer and acute liver problem and the death was due to inhalation of carbon monoxide. No foul play was detected,” Khan said.