CA accused of multi-city murder run – Telegraph India

Kolkata News

A 42-year-old chartered accountant allegedly shot his mother-in-law dead and then himself at his in-laws’ flat in Kankurgachhi on Monday evening, hours after killing his estranged wife in Bangalore and taking a flight to Calcutta.

Police in Calcutta found a purported suicide note in the Kankurgachhi apartment and came to suspect that Amit Agarwal had killed his wife earlier in the day. Following an alert from Calcutta, police in Bangalore’s Whitefield tracked down the address of Agarwal’s wife, Shipi, and went to her home, only to find her dead.

Till late on Monday, the cops could not ascertain how she was killed.

In Calcutta, Amit’s 70-year-old father-in-law, Subhas Dhandhania, ran out of the apartment on seeing wife Lalita being shot and bolted the door from outside. The elderly man then alerted Phoolbagan police.

When a police team reached the apartment, in Rameshwaram Building on RK Samadhi Road, they found the old woman and her son-in-law dead. The purported suicide note was near Agarwal’s body.

The sleuths have seized a gun, the suspected murder weapon, from the flat.

Agarwal turned up at his in-laws’ flat – 2B, Block B – around 5.30pm.

“A preliminary investigation suggests Amit Agarwal had gone to his in-laws’ residence, where he lost his calm over his divorce case. His mother-in-law tried to pacify him but he took out his gun and shot her. His father-in-law saw the murder, fled the house and latched the door from outside,” said an officer of Phoolbagan police station.

In Bangalore, deputy commissioner of police (Whitefield) M.N. Anuchet told The Telegraph: “We rushed to the apartment complex soon after we received information from Calcutta police.”

The apartment complex is in Mahadevpura, a Bangalore suburb near Whitefield.

“She had been dead by the time we broke open the door. She was in a sitting position on a couch in the living room, right next to a cupboard,” he said. The cause of the death could not be confirmed immediately.

Calcutta police said Agarwal and Shilpi are survived by a 10-year-old son.

Agarwal was living in Uttarpara in Hooghly, while Shilpi had moved out after a divorce case was filed and shifted to Bangalore with their son, an officer said.

“Agarwal had recently gone to Bangalore to meet his son. After killing his wife, he took a flight to Calcutta with his son. He dropped his son at his Uttarpara home before heading for Kankurgachhi,” the officer said.

“It is apparent Agarwal had gone to Bangalore with the intention to kill his wife. The suicide note indicates that he had gone to Kankurgachhi to kill both his in-laws.”

The bodies will be sent for post-mortem on Tuesday.

Shilpi’s body will undergo post-mortem in Bangalore.

Investigation is on to find more details about her and whether she worked in the city, Bangalore police said on Monday night.