KOLKATA: A 33-year-old labourer from Murshidabad who had returned from Saudi Arabia on Saturday with cough, fever and breathing distress, and had been admitted to Murshidabad Medical College and Hospital, died on Sunday. The swab sample has been sent to NICED in Kolkata to find out if he had been suffering from Covid-19. The report is expected on Monday.
Coronavirus fear goes viral: Why you shouldn’t panic
The 33-year-old victim had reached Kolkata on Saturday morning with cough, fever, breathing distress and body ache. He travelled to Murshidabad and was admitted to a hospital early on Sunday morning. He passed away around 4pm, less than eight hours later. The chief medical officer, health, of Murshidabad, Prasanta Biswas, said the cause of death is yet to be determined. “We have sent his swab sample to Kolkata for a test. All superspecialty and other hospitals in the district have been put on alert after the death. We are taking all possible precautions and stepping up vigil,” he said.
Coronavirus outbreak: Dos and Don’ts
According to his family, the Belepukur resident was a diabetes patient. When he started suffering from cough and cold and had difficulty breathing in Saudi Arabia, he panicked. “He was scared and rushed back as soon as he could. Unfortunately, his symptoms worsened very quickly even though he was admitted to hospital within hours of his arrival,” said his cousin.
Coronavirus outbreak: How to protect yourself
Also on Sunday a 21-year-old youth from Murshidabad, who came to Kolkata from Dubai on Sunday morning was admitted at Beleghata ID Hospital after being thermal screened at the Kolkata airport with fever and complaints of cough and cold.
Doctors said the youth worked as a sweeper at Saudi Arabia and had been suffering from fever and cold as he took a flight back home. After being screened at the Kolkata airport, he was handed over to health workers from state health department who brought him to Beleghata ID Hospital in a special ambulance around 11.15am. He was admitted at IB6 ward of the hospital and doctors said his fluid sample will be sent for test on Monday.
With the addition of the youth, two persons are now admitted at the Beleghata Hospital as coronavirus suspects. If their test reports are negative, they two will be discharged from the hospital, but will be advised home isolation for four weeks.